Today we are going to discuss how you can use a plethora of Young Living products to help support your oral health during orthodontics and oral surgery.
Orthodontics and Orthotropics
I would first like to introduce you to an alternative to traditional orthodontics. Myself and 3 of my children are currently going through the Orthotropic process. I had traditional orthodontics as a teen and it ended up doing more damage than good (including gum recession which I just had oral surgery to correct). Orthotropics takes more holistic approach taking into account the entire body and how it functions as a whole. I won’t go into the details only leave you some links to check it out. It’s pretty fantastic. We go to Gray Family Dental here in the DFW area.
For more information check out the following links.
Like traditional Orthodontics, Orthotropics moves teeth around. With this moving of teeth and bones, comes discomfort & muscle tightness. Shifting of bones, ligaments and muscles isn’t an easy thing. Your body needs all the support it can get during this time.
I suggest a daily regimen of the following:
- BLM Provides superior support to the bones, ligaments, muscles and joint health. BLM supports healthy cell function and healthy fluid movement in the joints. ANY Ortho treatment stresses the muscles of the jaw, skull and neck, as well as, puts an outside force on the jaw bones while trying to move things around. BLM is a MUST to support this process. It’s ingredients are:
- Glucosamine Sulfate: derived from shellfish assists the body while it is rebuilding damaged cartilage
- Potassium: a vital mineral for proper electrolyte balance and support healthy muscles.
- Callagen Type II: this is the raw material that joints are made up of.
- MSM: a superior bioavailable source of sulfur. MSM supports the body, specifically the flexibility in cell membranes and healthy cartilage.
- EO’s: Clove, Peppermint, Idaho Balsam Fir and Wintergreen
- Super Cal I recommend taking 2 Super Cal shortly before bed every night.
- Calcium: needed for bone and teeth health
- Magnesium: is required for proper function of muscles & maintains bone health
- Zinc: an essential trace mineral ours is in bioavailable form, supports the immune system
- Boron: a mineral may help increase the absorption of calcium
- EO’s: Lemongrass, Wintergreen, Marjoram and Myrtle
- Sulfurzyme: supports almost EVERY major function of the body. It combines the MSM with the NingXia Wolfberry Fruit. The NingXia Wolfberry supports the bodies ability to assimilate and metabolize the sulfur!! On the day you get braces or any appliance and on every time things get adjusted you will notice tight muscles, tender gums, sore teeth and even the entire head affected. Some products you can use to support your body during this time are:
- Thieves Spray: get this out and spray it in your mouth for an instant cool, soothing feeling.
- RutaVala Roll On this is a great one to use on all of the stressed muscles around your neck, jaw and head.
- Deep Relief Roll On another one to apply to the stressed muscles and bones around your neck, jaw and head.
- Single oils to get out and apply topically for support:
I have had three children have their wisdom teeth removed and I just had gum/bone graft surgery less than two weeks ago. So this is REALLY fresh on my mind. So fresh I am still doing some of these suggestions. With all three of my children’s wisdom teeth extractions they were prescribed steriods, NSAID’s, prescription mouthwash, Hydrocodone, anti-nausea medication and anti-biotics. The only thing they took was the Ibuprofen every 4-6 hours for the first day, then every 6-8 hours until it was only once a day before the end of the week. With my surgery last week I was prescribed Ibuprofen, antibiotics and Hydrocodone. I took one Hydrocodone a few hours after surgery and proceeded to throw everything up. From that point forward I took only Ibuprofen a few times the second day and after that only at bedtime. Here is what we use to support the body after oral surgery:
- SUPER CAL
- LONGEVITY CAPSULES
- LIFE 9
- HELICHRYSUM is great to have on hand IMMEDIATELY after the surgery. You know it’s really great to reduce those fine lines and wrinkles that your face may get from the dentist moving you all around during the surgery.
- COPAIBA! VITALITY!! COPAIBA VITALITY!!! COPAIBA VITALITY!!!!: Copaiba Vitality is one of the MAIN oils we apply directly on location. This is best done by putting a few drops on the gauze they will give you and put it directly where you want it.
- FRANKINCENSE VITALITY & LAVENDER VITALITY are two others we put on the gauze and stick in the mouth.
Oral Surgery Recipe Oils
You can use any or all of these. I suggest looking them up in your reference book and seeing which one would best support what your body needs. I’m always in a hurry so I grab a bunch and make up my capsules ahead of time, kind of winging how many drops of each. I LOVE to put in more of Peppermint and Copaiba. My capsules hold about 12 drops so I could do 1 of each all of these and 4 more additional drops. Of course, if you are new to oils you will want to dilute these 50/50 so you will only be able to get 6 drops of oil in the capsule and then fill the rest with Fractionated Coconut Oil.
- CLOVE VITALITY
- PEPPERMINT VITALITY
- MARJORAM VITALITY
- COPAIBA VITALITY
- FRANKINCENSE VITALITY
- MOUNTAIN SAVORY VITALITY
- OREGANO VITALITY
- THYME VITALITY
It is my hope that Young Living is working on adding these oils below to the VITALITY line, until then we can only talk about their topical use.
- IDAHO BLUE SPRUCE (OR ANY OF THE EVERGREEN OILS!!!)
- DEEP RELIEF
Thieves Mouth Wash!!!!
I can not tell you how wonderful it has been to have my Thieves mouthwash during these past 12 days since my gum/bone graft surgery!! I have been swishing it every hour. It brings such cool relief to my mouth. On top of all of the other WONDERFUL benefits I wrote about here.
I know this is a lot of info to take in and I have only really scratched the surface. Remember you know yours and your children’s bodies the best. If you don’t have a reference book to help you navigate your day to day EO usage I highly recommend getting one. I have had one for 12 years and still use it on a regular basis. Even after 12 years of researching and looking things up for my family of 8 I still don’t have it memorized. There is not enough Brain Power EO in the world to help any of us do that. Take my info and do your research. Try things out and find what works best for you and your family.